Sunday, June 23, 2013

Beauty Bolero

While I am resurrecting things from hibernation ... I don't know if I've ever posted about the Beauty Bolero. Here is what it is supposed to look like.

It was in Knitting magazine 80, which was published back in 2010, but handily you can buy the pattern and I think a kit as well from Purl Alpaca Designs.


I started this in February 2012. I knit the lower back panel, as seen here.


Then I stalled. You are supposed to knit the upper back by picking up a bunch of stitches along that top edge. I couldn't make the maths work so as to get the number of stitches just right on my first try, and I didn't want to mangle the knitting by picking up stitches in the wrong place too many times. So I just stalled. For over a year.

I picked up this project a few minutes ago and went across the top row just winging it, trying to pick up stitches evenly along the top edge and hoping for the best. I came in about 10% short of the desired goal. So on the return row I picked up extra stitches at even intervals until I got to the right total. Bingo. No problem. I just let that project sit in a bag for 16 months and that was all that needed doing.

No comments: