Friday, March 08, 2013

Mittens

OK, so the knitting bug bit me quite badly and I found myself in WHSmith one day with the strong urge to knit something and no materials. So I picked up Issue 48 of Let's Get Crafting: Knitting and Crochet.



Now, this is not what you would call a serious magazine but the cover gift included yarn and needles, and the magazine included patterns for about 8 small projects that you could make with the yarn and begin right away. So I did. In no time at all, I'd knocked up this pair of mittens. I was happy about this because I've never made mittens before and I've been wanting to try.


I am unsure whether these are perfectly correct or not. On the one hand, the pattern couldn't have been simpler. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that they are perfect mirror images of each other and I don't know if it's because of some quirk in the arrangement of the decreases that I'm not contemplating very carefully. In any case, this was a very quick and low risk introduction to mittens so I will definitely try some others now, using nicer yarn.

See that owl cushion on the front cover of that magazine? I am so ridiculously tempted to make that. This is how I know there is something wrong with me. I really don't need or even want a small owl cushion, yet I'm itching to cast on.

No comments: