Saturday, November 13, 2010

Colinette Socks


Here's a pair of socks with an unexpected history. I promised a pair to a friend, and picked this Colinette yarn out of my stash. I wanted them to be extra-special socks, so with the help of Cool Socks, Warm Feet, I went for the following options: toe-up (I usually knit top-down, and choosing toe-up proved to be a mistake, but at the time I was concerned about not running out of yarn); Bosnian square toe; Turkish heel; garter stitch turnover cuff.

As you can see, they turned out rather well. The Bosnian square toe is where you knit a square of garter stitch, and then pick up stitches all around to start knitting the foot. It was fun. The Turkish heel is just basically a wedge toe knitted at the heel end. That was fun too, and so was the cuff. The thick Colinette yarn made for quick progress and I finished these ahead of my gift deadline with about a day to spare.

Which was a good job, because it turns out I'd misjudged the length of the foot. My friend takes a size 4 shoe. These socks are a size 7. Because I'd knit them toe-up, there was nothing I could do to correct the foot length within the time available. Gah! What to do? I took my beautiful silk Jaywalkers out of the drawer, where they have been nestling all this time among scented paper, unpicked the toes and altered them to fit a small foot. My friend was delighted. A good save, I think. Now I know why we keep virgin pairs of handknit socks around the house.

2 comments:

pendie said...

She must be quite a friend for you to give up silk socks!

Beelzebub said...

I can make more. Plus, now I get to wear the Colinette ones. :)