Saturday, September 19, 2009

Giraffe Baby Blanket is finished

I have been knitting rather productively since my last post, so we at last have some finished objects to look at.

Tomorrow I'll show you some photos of the two baby jackets I've just finished - only the buttons to sew on now - but in the meantime I am happy to say that the Giraffe Baby Blanket is done and dispatched, to my young nephew Ben, who I went to visit today.

I was horribly late for the visit, because I was at home half the day doing the last bits of embroidery. So let me talk you through the finished giraffes you see here.


The body, neck and head of each giraffe are intarsia, knit right into the fabric. Also, the little brown dots that form a sort of mane on the neck. After that is where this morning's fun began. First, knit lots of giraffe legs and stitch them on (easy). Then, take the four-ply cotton yarn and gently try to unravel it *without breaking it* so that you've got a three-ply yarn and a two-ply yarn to work with. That took a very long time and a lot of patience, lol. After that, make a bunch of tiny crochet chains with your three- and two-ply yarns and stitch them painstakingly into the right place. The three-ply makes giraffe tails and the two-ply makes horns. The finished effect is delicate, lovely, and worth the hours of picking the thread apart with my nails. Finally, do a wobbly French knot in blue to make the eyes. Et voila! Giraffes.