Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Xmas, New Year & Warcraft

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you had an enjoyable festive break. I am back to work tomorrow and I can't quite believe it - it's amazing how fast one gets used to not having to show up at the office all the time.

At Xmas I went to visit my family of origin and there I did quite a lot of knitting. I finished Cal's and Clara's matching pink socks and left them with Ian to deliver for me. Next, I got a new project up and running: the Edan sweater for Joe. I've nearly finished the first sleeve and there will be photos soon (too dark for photography right now).

Also, I took a couple of gift orders. Not having done any gift knitting prior to Xmas, I let my brother and sister choose what they want. Sis wants a pink hat which shouldn't take too long once I find the right pattern and yarn. Brother wants a dark coloured scarf, I'm thinking maybe an Irish Hiking Scarf in charcoal grey will substitute nicely for a travelling sock while I'm working on it.

Eventually, after Xmas, I returned to my lair in London and that is where I disappeared through my computer screen into a different world altogether, one from which I have only just returned to write this post. The world of which I speak is the mighty World of Warcraft. If you have played WoW, you will know exactly what I've been dealing with over the last few days. It is like crack. One more puff, one more, even though your heart is pounding already and you're so tired you can hardly see. If you have never played WoW, you must. I am not kidding. I used to be sniffy about games that involved a lot of 'running around killing things' but this is so much more sophisticated and complex than that, even though there's a lot of both running and killing. This is mainly because of the interactivity. WoW is a real place, populated by something like 9 million real, live, human players. You can talk to them, form relationships, and team up together to complete difficult quests. And that is what I have been doing. I can't say any more, otherwise I'll never stop. This game stands head, shoulders and half a chest above any other game I've ever played. It rules. If only I could knit there, I'd move in. If you play, I'm on the Steamwheedle Cartel European server. Give me a shout and I'll meet you at the inn.

Warcraft

2 comments:

Rhian said...

I've taken to knitting during long flight paths or when making bandages/food/etc. I find the combination of WoW and knitting (and a cup of tea) to be the most relaxing and fun thing in the world. I only wish I could browse Ravelry at the same time...

Sadly my characters are all on Moonglade, but perhaps I'll venture over to Steamwheedle sometime!

Jadielady said...

I can't remember how I found your blog, but assuming you're on ravelry. There's a whole group of knitters who play WoW on there :)