Saturday, December 01, 2007

PRESS, as described on p.15.

Beelzebub is scared of irons.

Having successfully shielded myself from housework for most of my life, I have no clue how our iron works (it is joined by quite a long list of appliances that I don't know how to use, including the cooker and the central heating).

Because of this, I normally go for full-on wet blocking when I've finished an item. Get it wet, pin it out, leave to dry. However, this weekend we're going to do things differently. As you know, I've just finished knitting both Perugino II and my Basil sweater. Perugino is going to need traditional wet blocking (OK, maybe damp rather than wet) and it's big. It needs lots of space. If I'm going to block Basil at the same time, we'll have to find a method that doesn't involve it sitting around for hours all wet, taking up space. In other words, for the first time, I'm about to follow that common instruction, "PRESS, as described on p.15".

Let's see what's involved.

Darn in all ends neatly. Yeah, right. We'll leave most of those ends swinging free, thank you. They will come in handy for seam-sewing later.

Block out each piece of knitting using pins. What, on the ironing board? I don't think it's going to be big enough. Perhaps I can improvise an ironing board with something laid out on the floor.

Gently press each piece, using a warm iron over a damp cloth. And that's the scary part. How gentle is 'gently'? How warm is 'warm'? How long to press for? And what are the risks attached if I get the temperature too high? Better have a look at the ball band ... which says 'use a damp pressing cloth'.

All right, let's give it a try. Piccies soon.

2 comments:

ContinentalCat said...

I know what you mean about the iron! I had to dig up mine from the cellar (behind the freezer, that speaks volumes) for pressing my Hemlock into shape, and I actually had to read the instructions on the box...

Good luck, and when in doubt, put a lot of damp tea towels between the iron and your precious knitting. Worked for me.

Susan @ Damn, Knit & Blast It said...

I have "iron issues" too! I can wreck and knitted garment if armed with an iron...

My top tip is, barely touch the iron to the surface of the knitting and DON'T DON'T DON'T rub the iron back and forth - you'll stretch it. Kinda hover and pat with the iron (No points for guessing the knitted travesties that taught me these points ...) :-(

Good luck and go carefully!