Sunday, September 30, 2007

Secret project unveiled: Diana Bag

So, here's the story. The other day, my mum pointed out that it is my sister's birthday this weekend and invited me to a family dinner. It was my own birthday recently and my sister bought me a beautiful purse. As you know I am at work nearly all the time so I have no time to do any sort of shopping that's not online. I needed to come up with a good present for her. Then I remembered that in my stash I had three balls of Glimmer Print in hot pink, which I bought with her in mind last year. I set about making her a Diana bag. The pattern featured in the Rowan support book for Glimmer Print: 'A Midas Touch'.

Here it is, resting on the ironing board yesterday lunchtime. I was still sewing in the lining, but it was time to get the train to Birmingham so I had to do some 'nearly finished' shots.


Isn't that lovely. I've never worked with fabric before, and indeed I've never made a bag before, so I'm just coming to appreciate the appeal of both.

Here's the front. Those scrolls on the front are made from single crochet chains, same as the plaited handle. You can see the lining is still sticking out at the front in this shot. I stitched it to the edge of the bag on the train, on the way to dinner.

At the restaurant, my mum expertly sewed on the press stud between courses. Thanks, mum.

My sister models the finished product. Happy birthday, sis!

And the job's a good 'un.

In other news: I'm still trying to complete Clara's Baby Surprise Jacket. Wanna see the buttons?





I'm going to try and visit Clara soon, so I'm keen to finish this.

I actually did finish off the Purple Basketweave Socks (links in the archives), and handed them over to my dad. He co-operatively modelled them for me under the table :-)

They fit, so that's great.

And that's all today's knitting news!

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Fantastic FOs. Love the buttons on the baby jackets and the bag is just superb.