Sunday, September 23, 2007

Baby Surprise Jacket suddenly reappears

As you may remember, I had to consign Clara's Baby Surprise Jacket to the UFO pile when I ran out of one of the yarns I was using: Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran in a shade of teal that turned out to be discontinued. Nobody seemed to have more. I was pleased this week, then, when a little parcel of the right stuff finally arrived in the post (two different suppliers within a day of each other, actually).

I got up yesterday (Saturday) morning, excited to restart the project. The BSJ is truly a mystery in its engineering. It is, of course, the Elizabeth Zimmerman classic that is knit all in one piece, in a very strange shape, and then miraculously folds up into a baby jacket. The last time you saw it, it looked like a sea monster: http://beelzebubknits.blogspot.com/2007/08/is-it-sea-monster-no-its-bsj.html and it continued to look like one the whole time I was knitting it on Saturday morning.

Because when you're knitting a BSJ for the first time it's near-impossible to see how the strange octopus/jellyfish you're making is ever going become a garment, it's a totally compulsive project. Although I had other plans for Saturday, as the day wore on, I had to keep knitting and knitting, growing the fabric, desperate to reach the point where I could see how it was going to work. Let me tell you, that moment of insight did not come until the garment was finally cast off the needles five hours later - and lo! It magically folded into place.

Here it is, sans any finishing or buttons or whatnot, fresh off the needles:


There is nothing better than a garment rescued from the lost world of the UFOs. There's now only one UFO outstanding: Imken's socks - and I could finish those today if I could tear myself away from Ravelry (thanks to Angel Yarns for sending me some extra yarn to finish the job).

Of course, when I do finish Imken's socks I'll then have four items sitting in the Finishing Basket which means I have to stop knitting my big projects for a bit and get the sewing needles out. I'm trying to look at it as an opportunity to get good at finishing!

No comments: