Sunday, August 05, 2007

Is it a sea monster? No, it's a BSJ.

Would you like to see a picture of the famous Baby Surprise Jacket?

It is truly a thing of mystery. You cast on a bunch of stitches, mark one as a guide stitch one-quarter of the way along, and then another three-quarters of the way along. Then you knit away in garter stitch, and on each right-side row you place a decrease on each side of the guide stitches (so we're losing 4 stitches per RS row). That's what creates those pointy corners, as the decreasing pulls the fabric together. Then you knit a few plain rows which you can see here at the top of this picture. Then you start increasing in exactly the same places you put the decreases. I have only just started to do this; as the knitted fabric emerges, it will start to fan out instead of pulling in because of having switched to increases.

I am really enjoying the intrigue of this thing. I understand that the cast-on edge is eventually going to be the back of the neck and a long seam across the top of both sleeves, but how the rest of it works, I still don't know. It's kind of an ugly thing right now and I don't mind that, I think it's an ugly duckling that will eventually turn into a swan. So that is the BSJ. I am very excited to see how it turns out.

The yarn: red, white and teal is Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran. Pale blue is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. The dark green boucle is Bliss Cashmerino Astrakhan.

I am thinking wooden toggles for the buttons and maybe a hood if I've got plenty of leftover yarn.

The receipient will be my little niece Clara who is about to have her first birthday.

1 comment:

Ahna said...

That rocks! You must be having all kinds of fun in your design class. I would love to take a design class as I think it would definately help me to think more abstractly about what I knit. Oh, and I agree about your project turning into a swan!