Here are the final moments of the story:
All stitched up and ready to go
On the blocking board. I was scared to try it on in case it didn't fit. I wanted a snug, curve-enhancing 'sweater girl' fit - so after the seam allowance we were in negative ease territory and I was terrified it was going to be too small.
Close-up of the buttoned strap over the right shoulder. The buttons affix the strap to the raglan, but the strap serves no functional purpose, it's purely decorative.
Close-up of the left shoulder, showing the raglan that's underneath that buttoned strap. Absy wanted to know if I'd made any changes to the pattern to simplify it, since it requires a lot of seams. I only made one change. Absy, take a look at that ribbed raglan section below:
If I'd followed the pattern exactly, that band of raglan ribbing would be two bands: same length but half the width. There would be a seam up the centre of the band, joining them together. I did not fancy knitting 8 thin strips and sewing those centre seams, so I made four strips twice the thickness instead. They stitched neatly into the armpit, no problem.
And here I am, proudly modelling my sweater-girl sweater in the garden. It fits well and clings to the waist and bust just as I'd hoped. I am happy.