Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Cheap SEX

A little bit of yarn shopping happened this week, for the very good reason that there was a Sale. The range of yarn on sale was narrow, but it was all quality stuff, mostly Rowan & Jaeger and it was 50% off. Below is a sample.

Clockwise from left:
  • Regia red & white stripy sock yarn. 75% wool, 25% polyamide. 30sts/10cm

  • Jaeger Aqua Cotton in shade 302 (cream). 100% mercerised cotton. 22sts/10cm

  • Jaeger Siena in 'Sapling'. 100% mercerised cotton. 28sts/10cm

  • Rowan Cotton Rope in shade 62 (pink). 55% cotton, 45% acrylic. 15sts/10cm

I don't know what it is I like so much about cotton. It's only now I look at this photo that I realise 3 out of 4 choices were cotton. In the store I chose on appearance on the ball: colour & texture - apart from the Regia sock yarn, for which I had a specific project in mind. Also, when browsing patterns I'm choosing on what the finished garment looks like: its colour, drape & fit, not the yarn spec. Coincidentally, a lot of cotton, especially 4-ply, shows up in my list of projects I want to knit. I don't even have a lot of experience with it. There must be something in the drape of the fabric it produces that appeals to me.


I am going to have to think about this a lot harder next week as I'm going on this course at the London College of Fashion: http://www.fashion.arts.ac.uk/shortcourses/LCF_shortcourses_fashion_knitwear_design.htm


I Can Not Wait.

2 comments:

Susan @ Damn, Knit & Blast It said...

You bad, bad woman. How much SEX???

You'd never catch me doing a shameful thing like that ....
....what big heap of Siena that wasn't there yesterday? ....

...I had nothing to do with it....was there a sale??
**casts eyes down in shamed fashion**

Ahna said...

I'm jealous of your new class...I should look around Seattle for one myself.