It took a really long time to put all the pins in but then we always knew that would be the case. Because it was a long job, I was delighted when I had time left over to block these:
Red Jitterbug Socks & Tassels for Perugino
The socks are for my friend Frances in Alabama (I bought the red Jitterbug yarn and my pink Malva and Bali yarns when I was with her).
Notice the Perugino tassels are blocking too. This didn't need much work. They were looking a bit curly because some of the yarn had been knitted into an earlier version of Perugino and then frogged. So I took a basin of water, dipped each tassel and then sort of smoothed it down a bit.
The tassels will be lovely when they are stitched on to Perugino's points. For now, am I alone in thinking there's something slightly horrible about them? Like dead moths or some other sort of insect. Dry, light and brittle-looking. Maybe it's just me being weird.
Rainbow Spa Slippers
These have been in the finishing basket for ages and ages because they needed some slipper bottoms. These were finally obtained from Get Knitted, so I sewed them on this weekend.Now I have slippers! Yay!
As if all that achievement were not enough...
The front and back of the PNB sweater are blocking. Rolled up at the side there you can also see two sleeves, with their raglans reknitted for a nice, smooth edge.
A very good knitting weekend, I think you'll agree. Now I feel more than justified in starting a new WIP - while wearing my slippers.
Left to right:
Finally, this is the other zip-up jacket I was telling you about:
OK, I think I really have confessed all my desires now. So: which to choose?
I would be happy if I could choose one of these. Don't get me wrong, there are other things I want to make. There are two zip-up jackets I'm swatching for, and that lovely pink Bali bamboo crying to be used, but we'll talk about those another day.
I might get a chance to do some blocking this weekend, and I aspire to clear the rest of my Finishing Basket at the same time, now there are three items in it.
What's especially exciting about Perugino making it to the Finishing Basket is that now I can nominate something else to go on my WIP list. I will continue to knit on my socks and PNB sweater while I ponder the delicious dilemma: which project will it be? Tammy? Grandiflora? Something from the Plans list? Or will something completely unexpected enter the game? Don't miss the next exciting instalment to find out.
So there we have it. A sweater back with an acceptable, if not perfect. raglan edge. The back is exactly the required size: 52cm high, of which 16cm are raglan, and 20cm wide at the top on 37sts.
While I was ripping back and reknitting the raglan on this thing, I tried out a few methods of decreasing. Here's the formula I finally decided on. Left-leaning decrease: k1, ssk. Right-leaning decrease: k2tog, k1. This seems to be the method that produces the most similar appearance of the outer-edge stitches on each side of the work.
As you'll recall, we're pretty much rewriting this pattern from scratch because the measurements and instructions in the original are so terribly wrong. So it was time to do a few calculations for the raglan shaping.
Row 43: K: Cast off 39 sts.
This should yield a raglan piece that is 16cm high and 20cm wide at the cast-off row. Fingers crossed.
We have to make 23 tassels to sew on the ends of Perugino. I can't decide whether to sew them on before or after blocking everything. Maybe after.