Saturday, February 17, 2007

Adventures in cables: Gedifra Fiocco Oro

No sooner have I acclimatised to the sudden intrusion of lace into my life, than Cables slip through the door behind it. This was again the result of pattern and yarn meeting in my stash through happy accident.

As you can see below, I've acquired some lovely Gedifra Fiocco Oro in a blue/green mix with gold thread running through. It positively glistens, which is what attracted me. It's mostly cotton with some synthetic fibres for lustre. It's thick, soft and a bit stretchy.

When I got home with my yarn and looked up Gedifra online, I was delighted to discover a pattern for Fiocco yarn was already in my collection. It's a jumper with quite simple, abstract-looking horizontal cables. I didn't look at the stuff about cables when I bought the pattern, I just liked the jumper. Now I have the right yarn, I can try and make it - so now I have the fun and the challenge of learning to do cables: something I avoided for a long time.

The big, loose knitting at the back is my first try at cables, using the recommended 6mm needles. I knit too loosely and the stitches are hanging about like teenagers outside a chip shop.


The bit of knitting at the front is where I switched to 4.5mm needles and deliberately knitting a bit tighter. I'm optimistic that this is going to work a bit better.

I'm fully aware that this is a variegated coloured yarn which may obscure the cable pattern. Yarn and pattern might not be right for each other, in the end. But at least it will give me a chance to get to know the both, so I can match them up perfectly next time. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: