Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Two planned projects for 2007

Well, the Xmas hats are not much further forward. I think I've made about 7 in total, which is about half the number on my hat list. I can see there is going to be a mad rush to get them done by next week.

In the absence of any nicely photographed hats, I thought I'd bring up the subject of planned knitting for 2007. Here are two of the many items I have in mind:

'Tammy' by Kim Hargreaves for Rowan

The yarn is Rowan Cotton Tape, the pattern from Rowan's Cotton Tape Collection. I think these colours are great, that's what appeals to me about this item. Squeaky-clean Atomic Blue up against a filthy dirty brown is a very 1950s combination, reminds me very much of my favourite American abstract painters of that period, especially Barnett Newman. I am going to love wearing this sweater and I can't wait to start making it.

'Kitsch' by Lois Daykin for Rowan

Another 1950s style sweater, again in Cotton Tape. This is in a really acidic, eye-watering yellow which is exactly why I like it. The pattern is by Lois Daykin, I think, and it was published in one of the Rowan magazines. I must say, this sweater and the Tammy sweater above were responsible for my buying *large* amounts of Cotton Tape in 2006. The fact that it was already discontinued when I started looking for it only spurred me on. I now think I have possibly the largest collection of Cotton Tape in the world, including yarn shops. The colours are just great: dark and dirty earth tones complement the more zingy, fruity colours. Darkest mould green and eye-popping, sharp raspberry are two more of my favourite shades in this range, and I have plenty of each. Oh yes, I can see a lot of cotton garments being knitted up during the coming year.

No comments: